Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Day 4 - Full strippage achived - how to kill a prefectly good car in just 36hrs!

Right so i know its now officialy Day 5 morning, but let me off :P


Day 4 - as expected - a late start, took Mrs_Gee to work, and then took her car for its mot - which it promptly failed due to one of the handbrakes not working at all.
TBH the guy doing it was a totaly arsey sod, just cus i was 5 mins late (As i forgot my v5 at home went back to get it, and then got told, once i arived late, that i didnt need it anyway).

Another pet hate of mine - drum brakes - how 1950's do you wanna get ? too many springs and clips and you need 12 pairs of hands to chnage one side , so i had arranged already to get a rear disk set up, and the front 262mm disk set up form a VTi - but typiclay i wont get to fit them for a few weeks so all i needed was it to get thro its mot - even scrape thro, then it would all get chnage - but ohhh no never so simple.

So my day consisded of removing the whole hubs from the dx, and then with out any prep work - removing the crap LSi onesa nd swapping them over - talk about recipy for disaster!

But to my amazment it all went ok, not one stuck bolt - tho it did divert time from my project, but with my partents help (dad helping me, and my mum with the tea and toast again :D) we got it doen just intime to go pick my wife up from work at 4:30.

So while my dad picked her up for me, i got stuck in properly on the dx, got the back end up in the air, already had the rear hubs and shocks off from earlier in the day.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

And no - i wouldnt recomend leavng a car on 4 axle stands taht are uneven for long - but its very secure trust me :)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

What was also much use and fun wa smy dad lent me his trolly thing:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

So i had great fun rolling around under the car on it - its alot more comfortable for sure!

So i got to work on the fuel/rear brake lines, and fuel tank - which i had gotten all the bolts undone on day 3 - so it was pritty easy, just trying not get get crushed by the weight of a 1/2 full (or maybe 1/2 empty ;) ) fuel tank was erm.... fun? but i managed it and after a mear 4 days or 36 working hrs i had taken a fully working good mpg nippy little car - into a bare shell - what would Mr honda say...

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I also removed the side skirts - expecting to find some rust? but only a tiny bit was found, and unpon closer inspection i found that all the usualy EG civic muck/water traps that cause rust had been sealed up with sealant - thus why its lasted so long :D some one had great forsight - much to my benifit :D

So this is pritty much the only bit of surface rust on the car:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

its just a tiny bit of bubbling, and orange, the rest is just muck lol

So today (being Day 5) i plan on taking it easy, off into town to get some cleaning struff, and some frost white NH-538 spray paint, then my dad is gonna teach me how to de-rust and spray properly a car, and then wash the engine bay and interior :)


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

So ill post up again tonight

Laters

Chris_Gee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home